There’s been a big movement towards salt water pools in the last few years. However, most homeowners have never even heard of salt water pools, let alone know anyone who has one. So we’re outlining the truth about salt water swimming pools once and for all!
A saltwater pool system works with the help of a generator which converts salt into chlorine. Instead of dumping chemicals into your pool, you add salt to the generator. Through a process called electrolysis, the generator breaks down that salt, creating more free available chlorine (FAC) naturally. This free available chlorine is what actually sanitizes your pool. The saltwater pool system thus eliminates the need to add chlorine or “shock” into your pool, because it supplies a steady stream of chlorine itself.
Still not convinced that salt water pools are awesome? We bet we can change your mind.
The Added Benefits of Using a Saltwater Pool System
Making the switch to a saltwater pool system can do a lot for you and your family in the long run. Some of the best salt water pool benefits include:
- A more comfortable swimming experience. The salinity level in salt water swimming pools in lower, and the water itself feels softer. (It also tastes better than ocean water or manually chlorinated water, though we’d strongly caution you against drinking it at all.) Salt water pools don’t have chloramines, either – the root of that pungent smell, dry skin and itchy eyes. Whether you’re in the water or out, a salt water pool system can make the entire act of swimming much more pleasant.
- Brighter bathing suits and towels. Chlorine acts as a bleaching agent; that’s why too much time in the pool and in the sun can fade bathing suits and towels much more quickly. By eliminating the excess chlorine, you can actually keep your swimwear in better condition for longer.
- Lower maintenance costs. When you have to buy fewer chemicals, it leaves you more cash to spend on other things – period. As long as you take proper care of them, salt water swimming pools won’t cost you any more money than the standard pool, though installation costs may be higher. In the long run, the money you save on chemicals is still greater than the initial cost of the generator.
- Lesser maintenance times. How many hours do you spend balancing chemicals each summer? How many times do you find yourself running up to the local pool supply store for shock because you pool looks cloudy and your company will be there in an hour? Salt water pools eliminate that extra time spent maintaining the pool by essentially maintaining themselves.
- Happier, healthier families. That pungent smell we mentioned before? It’s pretty unhealthy for kids and adults alike who suffer from asthma or upper respiratory illnesses. Thus, salt water pools are actually better for your lungs. (And having fewer chemicals around lowers the chances of your child or a beloved family pet ingesting anything poisonous.)
Salt water pool benefits outweigh the drawbacks by quite a bit. They’re safe and easy to clean, and can help you spend more time with the ones you love this summer. And because most salt water pool systems are installed in vinyl liner pools, you can still customize them in any way you’d like. It’s everything you’d want in a pool, all in one neat package.
We can’t think of anything better than that.