How to Change your Filter Sand
Take note of the filter tanks model & amount of sand needed.
This is necessary in order to get the proper center assembly and sand needed.
- Turn off the skimmers or block them off using a plug.
- Remove the drain cap from the bottom of the filter tank and drain the filter completely.
- Remove the clamp assembly that holds the multiport onto the filter tank.
STOP! BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ENOUGH PIPING TO LIFT OFF THE MULTIPORT BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER.
- Assuming that you do have enough room then lift off the multiport and then remove the old sand either by using a wet/dry shop-vac, or scooping it out.
- Once the old sand is removed, take out the center assembly. This is done by either folding up the plastic fingers at the bottom of the center tube or unscrewing them (depending on the model).
- If you are changing sand that is 3-5 years or older it is recommended that you replace this center assembly, as it can become dry-rotted and brittle.
- Flush out the empty take completely with water and replace the drain cap.
- Place the new center assembly on the tank and unfold the bottom plastic fingers.
- Cover the opening at the top of the center assembly with a paper cup to prevent any new sand from getting into it.
- Fill the tank approximately ½ full with water to provide a cushion as the new sand is put in.
- Carefully and slowly pour the new sand into the tank.
Note: the tank will not, and should not be filled to the top with sand.
- Replace the multiport and clamp assembly.
- Open or unplug your skimmers.
- Do a backwash and then filter as normal.